Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Ireland Series- Week One

From your local correspondent in Dublin, Ireland:

Dear friends,

It has been exactly one week since I touched down in Ireland. After a gruelling 16.5 hours flight- 13 to London, 2 hours in transit, and another hour plus from London to Dublin, I finally touched down in Dublin. I touched down- sleepy eyed and dazed from jet lag, and the driver picked me up as planned. After a quick city tower, he brought me to Tesco (a supermarket) and made some grocery purchases. Following that I was brought to my apartment and gratefully went to concuss in the big comfortable bed. Lunch was settled at a nearby restaurant, and I managed to meet an ex-colleague’s friend for dinner. Finally- at least I know 1 person in Dublin. I concussed early, and woke at 6, and had been waking about 6 for almost every day since then.





On my second day, I spent most of it sleeping it. Was feeling ill, and did not manage to go and explore. It was a really bad day. At night I was setting my ironing board- can discovered that its super low! No more than 40-50 cm high! I spend 20-30 mins in a vain attempt in trying to figure out if there was any way to set it correctly. I decided to improvise and raise the board between 2 chairs- so as to have an easier time ironing. I started ironing- only to discover that the iron is dirty! As I was without an iron, and had crumpled clothes, I had to spend an hour plus scrubbing the iron clean, and continuously tested it the cleanliness of the iron on service apartment’s towel ! Super Low morale! Subsequently, the previous occupant of the same apartment did confirm that the ironing board is super low and the iron was dirty. (SO IT WASNT ME!) A thoroughly miserable Wednesday



I started work on Day 3, Thursday, and was initially lost. It was raining, and I could somewhat wet. Certainly not the best way to start work. Fortunately the people were rather friendly, and noticed that the FS (Financial Services ) Audit is a rather multinational in nature. In my team, I have a Parkistani and Australian Co-senior. The Parkistani appeared to be rather friendly, but for unknown reasons I have some reservations. I managed to contact wan ling’s friend who also worked in KPMG and we met up for dinner. Friendly and chirpy, she put me at ease, and I discovered we stayed in the same building. She kindly allowed me to go to her flat to use her iron and I met her housemate there, a friendly and likable fellow. The gal, Widi, is a Indonesian Chinese who worked in Singapore for a few years, while the guy a Malaysian Chinese, Kim, who worked in KL and the Bahamas before going to Dublin. Yeah—New friends- and less lonely.

Friday was rather uneventful and Widi and Kim brought me out to meet other Malaysian Chinese for dinner at a Chinese restaurant. The Malaysian community was rather friendly and it was a community of Chinese looking out for each other. I took solace in the existence of such a community. At night, 4 of us played Dai DI in my apartment till 4am, and I lost 50 Euros that night. Really blew a hole in my pocket. It was the first time I gambled with Dai DI and lost big. Oh well, I took it as an opportunity to know the people better, and bond better. After all, these bonds will help me see through lonely Dublin.

The weekend was rather uneventful. Saturday was mainly spend in the apartment as it was raining heavily. We ate at another Chinese restaurant for dinner, and got a free meal, as one of the people within the group is a good friend of the owner. I had early night after dinner, and did not participate in the Dai Di sessions. I spent Sunday out, exploring for a couple of hours and manged to visit the local university- trinity college. Trinity college is a rather large compound, and has lush green lawns and classical European style buildings. It was a beautiful sight, but it was also a little sad. Where are my blading khakis to take photos with me? The thought was really depressing and had took me a while to get it off my head. After the gang who went to the oriental and asian makets. There, I saw the familiar Maggie Mee, and was delighted, and hence bought 4 packets ( of 5)! Hurray.I don’t have to eat bread anymore! Until then, almost every meal that I “cooked” by myself is a sandwich.






Cooking In Ireland
As indicated above, almost every meal prepaid by me is a sandwich. Bread will be toasted and butter applied and a slice of ham or sliced roasted chicken thrown in. A quick meal that is quite filling but after a while I missed home cooked food. Sigh. Until my rice cooker arrives I can only make do- with Maggie mee at best. A significant improvement from Bread but still no wherewhere close to Singapore food

Missing You Guys
Yep. I must u guys. Period. Although its only been a week it feels like an eternity. Time passes slowly when you are alone, and distant. I miss blading, miss our craping session, dinners and clubbing.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Correspondent in Dublin,

Well well well… I can see that you have a rather uneventful first week there... having spoilt iron, experiencing lousy rainy weather, feeling lost, missing home cooked food, missing frens, etc… hahahaha… THIS IS ONLY WEEK 1 LOR… you would have more of such weeks to come… hahaha.. I read somewhere that you would experience such feelings for about at least 3 mth (and up to 6 mths) before you manage to settle down fully…. Hahaha… so hang on there bah!!

And aniwae, at least you are meeting new ppls, going out with them and exploring the place (errhh… sometime exploring places alone is quite fun lah… hahaha… ask mr Daniel and he would happily tell you that this is the truth… ask me and I would say otherwise.. hahaha…) hmm, gambling with new frens?? Hahaha… questionable characters lei your new frens… hahaha… just don’t pick up gambling habit from them can liao…

Your apartment looks nice lor… hahahaha… I think it’s quite cool to be able to live alone and in your own apartment and do whatever you please… hmm, perhaps I should bring forward my plan of moving out of my house?? Emi, do consider joining me k… hahahaha… Well, Dublin does look a bit on the quiet side… hahaha, you need to explore the ‘wild’ side of the city bah… so any donkey for you to count?? Hahaha….

Anonymous said...

hmm, impressive attempt to blog and post pics. love the apartment, modern, minimalist and clean (try to keep it that way). check out the plush comfy bed! *snigger* and u sure made a lot of female frens fast.

yeah, i am very puzzled bout ur new frens' gambling habit. there was a second time and glad that u chose to sleep early. hey, u are not their charity and there are better things to do. seriously.

have u unpacked ur bag? can see they are scattered open at the bottom of the pics. and omg! u have a oven!!!! *envious frown* i so want to bake cookies!!! take the weekend to sort out where u want ur things to be put. totally unpack. this signifies ur resolution to stay and work things thru.

sorry to say but everything does look a bit grey there. haha... did u bring our collage there? hang it up and put some colour in ur room. prob not in ur BEDroom. odd to see so many frens when u are changing. hahha

and please dun get bullied hor. ours have been harmless and innocent. and dun spend so much money. always leave enuff to buy a ticket back.

hua, dun pull me into ur attempt to move out! hahhaa... mabbe if i strike it big, i'd consider. or mabbe if i'm left on the shelf, i'd rent a place with u. hahaha... hopefully orchard/holland village area.

Anonymous said...

hahaha... speaking abt big and comfy bed, i am sure mr goh would be able to meet his promise of bringing 5 gals and 5 kids back to SG when he returns with this item in his house lah... hahahaha...

errhhh... i think the main reason as to why he hasnt unpacked is becos this apartment is only for a month... he needs to find another place to stay, soon bah... hahahaha... but yah, unpack all your stuff at the new apartment to strengthen your resolution to stay and work in dublin =)

hahaha... mr goh getting bullied there?? sure or not?? perhaps lah... hahaha... no worries... ask emi to teach you i-stare-at-you-till-you-die-or-back-off look... hahahaha

Andrew said...

Aiy- 6 months to settle in. Damn sian la. fortunately managed to know those malaysian chinese. else think i will juz come back next week. hahaha.

Irish people quite nice but have strange greeting habits. my friend was saying that she went down a corridor at client's place, and as the clients walk past, the whole row of them will say "Hi, How r u?" so b4 she can respond- the person will walk past liao. haha. happened 6-7 times. some speak damn fast too. I called some1 on the phone, and heard her voicemail, but couldn hear what she was saying except for "leave your message". haha.

Shift to Dublin lor. Nothing much to do except pub and club. sure u serial cheongsters will like it. haha. I think they r not questionable characters la. The guy, Kim lost 50 the nite I didn play. haha. he damn sian.

Weather had been rather bad. Raining/ Drizzling for almost every day, and the wind has been strong- going up to 30-40 km per hour.Thats why Dublin looks gloomy.

Apt is nice and spacious, trying to get a double roomed apt to share in this same building. else will cost a bomb- and have to shift out. photo was taken on day one- b4 i unpacked.

5 gals? haha. I cant find 5 decent looking gals yet lor. hahha. Not bullied yet. Just arrowed. haha.

Anonymous said...

Well..things are happening fast for you..so it takes a while...on our side, we are either doing and expecting the same thing, and others looking for diff things to do..pace is definitely slower..

Things will more or less get better..once you find a cosy lodging to start calling your home...Just remember not to sleep too much and socialise more once you are settled...:>

so wat's wif the donkey??..haha

Anonymous said...

oh, you dont know the donkey story?? hahahaha

amazing race (the latest season) first stop was at ireland mah... they went to this super ulu place which is super beautiful.... mountain, deep blue sky, deep blue sea AND without a single soul or house in sight lah...

so the contestants had to cycle on thin wire and in the air from one mountain to another mountain (to cross the river apparently)... super exciting lah... hahaha

then when they reached the other side, there's a road block... need to get the donkey to carry heavy coals from the station to the farm... the donkeys quite poor things lah... some kena ill treated, ie being pull, push, drag... cos they refused to move.. hahaha..


so... i called ireland as the land of donkeys lor... cos no single soul in sight.. ony donkeys... hahaha

mr goh is supposed to go ireland to audit the no of donkeys there... part of his audit work mah... hahaha

Anson said...

Haha…10 min to knock off. Haha.
Mr. Lost… you don’t seem so lost after all. Good to find some friends.

Perhaps, you can try to put some adv at the notice board of ur appt or supermarket in the area, in order to find flat mates to share an apartment.

Another way, U can ask how your friends get their flat mates.
I do it online. Luckily, they are quite nice guys.

I agree with Daniel, it takes more time for us (people in s’pore to change or have news things coming to our lives) As you know, we’re all working. Life is quite predictable. Unlike you…there’re still plenty of UNKNOWs. (Gals…sure got pretty gals…wait lah).

Aihau…u’re thinking of moving out???haha…I have the same idea. But, probably not in s’pore. Too sick of this place.

Arh…can go off liao…
Question to Mr.Lost...what time you knock off from your work everyday?

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew,
Glad that u blogged!

Anw good to know that you have friends in the same block as you, at least there's company for you now. You could treat it like those days when u were staying in hostel.

And I wanna say that your apartment is damn nice lor! Neat and bright and spacious. Try to find a rm mate soon, thk it wld be gd if u cld stay on in the same apartment.

Is there Campbell's soup powder mix sold in the convenience stores? If so maybe buying this would add variety to your "Maggi-Mee" meals. Until the day you learn how to cook other stuff. Haha...

P/S: Emi's sentence "always leave enuff to buy a ticket back" nearly made me laugh... :p But of cos I noe u wld get used to life there one lah. :):):)

Anonymous said...

i bumped into Peiyi outside my office just now... at the counter area... so qiao!! hahahaha... cos she needs to find someone from my other department...

aniwae, she read andrew's blog... and commented that mr goh sounds very 可怜... i roll my eyes lah... then i proceeded to say that he is ok wat, have met quite a no of new gals there liao, etc etc... hahaha.. and guess what she said?? hahaha.. 'it's typical of andrew lor... meet all the gals...' hahahaha...

so... mr goh, your comment of 'I cant find 5 decent looking gals yet lor' doesnt sound valid at all lor.... your standard too high liao is it?? go lower it!!

Anonymous said...

U sound so melancholic, Andrew. Don't be. As cliched as it sounds, things will only get better!

Fortunately you met someone who could orientate you in your 1st few days there, plus that person intro you to more friends. It's an opportunity to socialise (skip the gambling part though).

Every person you meet there is a new face and every place you go is unknown territory. Think of it as an extended paid vacation. My friend in Germany had a lovely time every weekend, exploring quaint little towns or villages.

Too bad it rains so much there. Wait for summer bah. U can put your trenchcoat, gloves, scarf to good use for now.

Hopefully by now u've made friends with your new colleagues settled nicely into work. Hope against hope that the people there dont work late much!

Get your family to send you frozen laksa, wanton, etc over. solves cooking woes! but gotta learn how to cook somehow, cant survive on instant noodles for long bah. better to save on food n splurge on other stuff (like occasional trips to other cities).

ok, enuff rambling. take care!

Anonymous said...

Waiting for more pics from andrew..............

Andrew said...

eh- irish gals really CMI so far. so I cant come back with 5 of them. As for the malaysian chinese I know, most are taken. haha.

Dont see donkeys yet. Sky is grey for most of time rather blue. haha.

As for foood- havin maggie is great. threw in salmon, chicken and celery yesterday, and tasted great!

Not doing fantastic, but not suffering- yet.

Anonymous said...

Aiyo, salmon with maggi mee? Bleah, not my taste. :s
Anw keep on experimenting, you'll soon find the best combi of ingredients to go with Maggi mee. :p