Sunday, March 2, 2008

2 months in Ireland

“How do you do?” and I responded “Not too bad”, and that, is the typical Irish greeting. My friend once recounted to me that she was walking down a corridor of a client’s office, and a whole row of Irish starting with “How do you do”, and they walked past her before she could respond. Amazingly, they can speak the “How do you do” so quickly, that it barely takes more time than for me to say “Hello”. Other Irish peculiarities include saying “grand (it means great)”. And like most Caucasians they are expressive in their language, and would often reply PERFECT, or BRILLIANT and of course the ubiquitous GRAND. A friend once joked; saying “you should reply BRILLIANT to their PERFECT. “
As the title suggests, It has been nearly 2 months since I have left tidy little Singapore for the even more minuscule Dublin City. Whereas Singapore has a population of close to 5 million people, Dublin’s population is closer to that of 1.5 million, with the total number of Irish residing in Ireland being about 5 million. Amazingly, about 20-30 million Irish stay abroad, a result of a poor economic environment in the 1970s to 1990s.
To date, my experience with Dublin has been slightly disappointing. Perhaps, my initial expectations of the place were set too high. I was expecting a vibrant city booming with activities, but unfortunately, it has not been the case. Pubbing appears to be the main social activity here, and the city appears to have not much to offer in terms of other social activities. Perphaps, it is because I have yet to fully settle into the pace and beat of the city. I have heard that musicals are of a relative high standard in Dublin, but had not have the time to visit it yet. Nevertheless, my friends and I remark that Dublin is probably 10 years behind Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, which is probably true, given that Dublin’s plan to become an international financial centre was only executed in about 2000.
Nonetheless, aside from the weather, not all is gloomy. It is indeed a beautiful place. About 3 weeks back, I travelled slightly north of Dublin City, to a place called Malahide. Our driver, is an Irish Man, who could speak English fluently without a strong Irish Irish accent. Accordingly, my mates and I did not have to strain our ears to listen to him as he gave us a quick overview of the city. Unfortunately, Dublin does not seem to have done much good to my brain cells, and I am unable to remain the bulk of his introduction. He does posses a good voice, and the bus passengers all applauded in appreciation of his singing. I can imagine we were rather fortunate that he has been in this business for over 15 years. I speculated to my friends that his voice probably improved considerably with his daily or weekly singing.
Malahide has a small castle, which is about 3-4 stories high, some beautiful paintings and some medieval furnishing. In many respects it is quite similar to the many castles you see in Hollywood movies. What was more beautiful was its surrounding park, which was expansive and filled with lush green grass. Having experienced good weather that day, it was rather unfortunate that we did not bring our picnic mats along. In reality, our tour guide and the rest of the tourist were waiting for us at the bus, as we were too busy taking photos and exploring the beautiful park. Our journey back allowed us to further appreciate the beautiful landscape that Dublin is famous for. To side track, real estate is expensive in Dublin, with a lower end terrace house (equivalent) costing about 800k euros and better ones costing about 2 million euros. Considering the high tax rates (41% for annual income that is earned beyond 30 plus thousand Euros), and the lower per capita income of Ireland than in Singapore, the price is staggering.
A quick description of my typical day would be as follows: I wake up about 6.30 to 7 in the morning, and ‘speak to some of my friends’ on msn, followed by showering and breakfast. I would leave for office about 8 and reach about 830 to 840. Lunch is usually sandwiches as the local staff canteen, and I usually lunch in. I usually knock of about 6.30 and would bring some of work home. Following dinner, (My housemates do the cooking), I will do the dishes and shower again, and do some work. I tuck in about 1130 pm. I shall stop providing greater details, lest your eyelids are unable to support your droopy eyes at this stage. To put it mildly, life is not exactly exciting. My most exciting bit would be trying to keep my blood from boiling or keeping my irritation in check, to which I would explain later.
Another positive thing about my experience in Dublin is that I have learnt to appreciate my juniors more in Singapore. I have had coached /led about 10 juniors over my time in E&Y, but some of the juniors here may result in me having to visit a cardiologist frequently. I once asked junior A to transfer some information form one excel spreadsheet to another, and he replied that was not confident about getting it right. In the end, I had to write down for him that information in Col A of spreadsheet 1 has to go to Col B of spreadsheet 2, even though most of the headings are identical if not similar for most of the columns. To date, I am still undecided as to whether Junior A or B is more challenging to manage. I once told Junior B to send an email to query a Bank about some details about an audit confirmation. Incredibly, the email was sent to the client instead of the Bank, simply because the client’s name was included as a CC, on the hardcopy of the confirmation. He had mistaken the client for the bank! What was mentioned above was more of the norm than exception. Suffice to say, these incidents have provided me with all the excitement I need at work.
My 2 months in Ireland has caused me to better appreciate the BIG and little things more in Singapore. I miss my loved ones, and my friends. I miss blading, dinner and our little chit chat sessions. I miss our drinking and clubbing sessions. To all of my dear friends, your presence is missed.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, would you be coming back soon? :p
If Dublin is so unbearable, you might want to consider coming back here to work. At least there's ur family and LOVELY friends here. Somemore the income tax there is incredibly high. Are foreigners taxed as well?

Andrew said...

Hey there. Does Dublin sound that bad? Hmm, its not THAT BAD. Just not great either la.

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew, you could think of Dublin as your stepping stone to London, the known financial hub. I'd think the Londoners are prob much better as juniors than the Irish. Things will definitely improve as time passes, esp in terms of adaptation to the life there. Hang in there!
btw, could u check your yahoo email please? would appreciate your reply asap, thanks.

Anson said...

Photoz Photoz Photoz..
1st Photoz on e places that U went...e castle..
2nd) I wonld really want to see the face of Junior A & B.bet they r both guys.Otherwise,U won't be so upset abt teaching again n again.
3rd) At least, ur hse mates sound good & helpful.Cook dinners.I wish my housemates frm nt dirtying e toliet.

Anonymous said...

Haha I tot u have reached ur last straw there or what. Hmm actually you still have your house mates who COOK for you lor!!! No more maggi mees. And you get a chance to travel around Europe whenever you want to. As what Fiona said, hang in there!!!

Anonymous said...

hmm... your typical day sounds ok; almost like what everyone else (doesnt matter where you are) does... everyday: wake up, go work, lunch, more work, more work, knock off, dinner, watch tv, surf net, reading, blah blah blah... then go out, meet up with frens, have fun, etc on weekends...

and it's good that someone else is doing the cooking... at least you get edible food for now.. hahaha..

and yah, you should organise trips with your frens to go to the outskirts once in a while... and rem to take photos of donkeys k... hahaha...


to sidetrack:
today is a super blue monday lah... gloomy weather... blue black knees which look super ugly... behind schedule for my readings... churn out more slides/updates... blah blah blah... now lunching in to catch up on my reading.. heng that boss is at tampines.. hahha.. aniwae, you gals can start to email me when you all are back from lunch k... =P

Andrew said...

Nah, not last straw, yet. My fellow senior was running thru the audit file of his client with him,and bascially he treated me like an invalid. After I saw what is the way they do thiings here, I got quite demoralised. Dosnt seem like there is much to learn. Just agreeing general ledger to the management accounts! London is not hiring at the moment.

I suppose typical day aint that bad, just that without my usual friends as EY, it may seem poor in comparision la.

Fiona- I have told kennth about ur time line. We try finalising detais by end of march?

Anonymous said...

well well well.. have seen the photos that you had taken for the Malahide trip... ireland looks like, erhh, ireland lor, if you know what i mean.. hahaha...

did you take those photos in the castle secretly?? you must learn how to take proper photos in such situation lor.... will come in useful when you tour europe and visit the areas where, by right, photography is not allowed; by left, you can secretly take them lah... hahaha...

we look forward to better photos the next time round.. hahaha...

Anonymous said...

oo...i like castles..must have been quite cool to walk around one. Relive your childhood fantasy moments and all. I do agree the architecture and everything looks abit grey. But I guess thats what it is like there. So do you think it was exciting for medival people to have lived in a castle? Probably belonged to some baron.

Maybe u can share the photos taken at Changi airport as well..:P

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. walking around castle = very tiring lor... long corridors cos all the rooms are far apart... then rooms are very big... can take a few hours just to finish looking at just one item...

however, i would think staying in a castle is quite cool lah.. though i may not like it... esp at night when there's eerie noises coming from the sky or behind you or behind the cardboards, etc.. yesh, i am quite imaginative.. hahaha...

yeah, i also want the airport photos taken by mr goh's camera....

Anonymous said...

Eh Andrew, the photos u posted in gmail, very little hor? :p

Anson said...

Sel,if u see his photos...all galz again. Ops.Mr. Andrew is "womanizer" or..
quite coolz e castle.Like that alot

Anonymous said...

hm...think a "lady's man" is a more appropriate term...:P I guess there is nothing wrong with that bah..if it were all guys...i would be more worried...haha... anw ladies make better companions and conversation partners..don't you agree?

Andrew said...

Looks like a wrong impression was created. FYI, there were a total of 3 guys that day (myself included.) Coincidentally, my photos with the other guys, and the group photos including them, have are on my friend's photos and we yet to exchange photos.

Selene- Foreigners are taxed at the local tax rate. I am currently on emergency tax, and paying about 41%. Once I get my tax account set up, I will be taxed about 30-33%, with the earlier tax paid refunded to me.

You guys are a lovely bunch. Miss you folks. Am I missed? hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Anson: Wah I didnt notice that, shall go check the pics out again, wahaha!

Andrew: The tax rate is goddamn high! Hope u're enjoying urself there. We miss u as well!