Within World Dance Council international competitions are two categories of dances, Ballroom (also called Standard or Modern) and Latin.
In the Ballroom dances, partners remain in closed position throughout the dance, and movements tend to be elegant and sweeping. The ballroom dances are progressive, moving anti-clockwise round the floor.
Ballroom dances: Waltz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Slow Foxtrot and Quickstep.
The Latin dances are more overtly sensual, close, semi-open and open figures are danced. Hip action is common; and athletic and balletic maneuvers are common.
Latin dances: Cha-cha-cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso Doble and Jive.
I would like to extract out the explanations of the dances from wikipedia but they are too technical. The number of turns, beats and the types of steps, figures, etc. I think it can be more appreciated when you watch it or experience it yourself.
Not fantastic dancing but it is the feel of it. Al Pacino's character is blind and leads a young lady who has never tried tango before. I liked how the guy leads well such that the lady can follow easily. No pressure on the guys... I can go on auto mode but it kills the point of the dance. hahhaa...
From my lil experience in my dance classes, it'll be better to bring your fixed partner along. It's better because you learn and adjust together. I've never liked freestyling or whatever it is called when there is no choreography because I haven't mastered following the guy's lead.
But whatever it is, it'll be great to be able to do a waltz on the wedding day. Erm, with your spouse and not a stand-in (Insider's joke for the buffalo wings people *winks*).
4 comments:
Salsa is classified under... Latin dances??
Anyway, i cannot view the pic, something wrong with the link??
writing from the bus stop... its a video link frm you tube...
emi, your post leaves me tempted to go learn a dance too...
* tap tap swirl
writing from LT 24, it is a cuban dance but very popular in latin america, amongst many places.
but i kinda classify under latin cos it is sexier than most ballroom. hahha...
swirl swirl, swish of skirt... =)
Post a Comment