Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ugly Braces, Beautiful Smiles

As some of you may know already, I am wearing braces now!! The orthodontist was really quick in doing his job to fix me up with them, hahaha...

Summary of tasks till date
1. Mid-Aug -- Visit to the orthodontist (at Jurong Point) for consultation. He did a quick check on my teeth, said that my case is the non-complicated kind and the treatment would typically take abt 1 to 1.5 years, and arranged for me to take x-rays of my mouth, take photographs of my face, teeth, and mouth and take molds of my upper and lower teeth (gotta put a pinkish gum-like stuff into the mouth twice lor, disgusting taste!). Cost of package: $3,900 via installments

2. One week later -- I extracted 4 teeth (gotta make space to move and align the remaining teeth!) Not really painful per se cos the affected areas would be numb... I wish though that the orthodontist could talk to me while he was doing his work; at least I can know what he was doing and not second-guessing his actions. Pretty scary to lay down in the dental seat and not knowing what's happening!

The orthodontist also inserted rubber spacers between the molar teeth. It's uncomfortable and painful to chew food as the rubber spacers would be forced deeper into the teeth with each bite... Argh! Luckily, it's just for a week...

3. One week later -- Braces fitting time! Orthodontist removed the rubber spacers, placed giant metal brackets around the molar teeth and glued metal brackets on each tooth. A high intensity plasma light is then quickly applied to the surface of the bracket to set the bond. Arch wire is then placed through the brackets.

Viola! All done within 20mins, and I'm wearing braces. So efficient hor, hahaha...


What's next?
I would need to visit the orthodontist every 5 - 6 weeks for him to examine my teeth's progress, remove the arch wire and put in a new one to tighten or adjust the pressure. Pretty straightforward right? Per visit is expected to take less than 15mins.


My experience with braces...
...so far so good! Not as painful as I would imagine and the initial discomfort is pretty okay and manageable. Just gotta eat porridge for the first week (while the teeth get used to the pressure and extra weight), cut food into smaller pieces, chew food slower, brush teeth after each meal, etc... Ok lah, can one.

Snapshot of my teeth after wearing braces for a week. Still a very very very long way to nice straight teeth!! PS: Hope my not-so-straight-teeth photo didn't frighten you, hahaha...

UPDATE: Look at how much my front teeth have straightened after wearing braces for 6 weeks!! Wow wow wow!


Have you ever wondered how braces work?? I actually pretty amazed that the use of a simple arch wire to exert a constant and gentle force on each tooth can move teeth via bone remodeling process into the desired and idea position... For more information on how braces work, check out this website, click here

And anyone toying with the notion of wearing braces after reading my experience?? haha. My advice... Just go for it!!

2 comments:

AG said...

I need to claim credit for that photograph of Loveflower's mouth. Haha.

loveflower said...

Check out the snapshot of my teeth after wearing braces for 6 weeks =)

I am pretty happy that my teeth are behaving well, hahaha