… in your external hard drive to another external hard drive!
My external HDD was working well all the times but suddenly I can't open it anymore! … last night. Argghh!!
Was transferring photos from my camera onto the external HDD when an error message: Insufficient disk space… appeared. This is weird, cos I know for sure there’s at least 200GB of unused space… *scratch head*
So... I re-copied the photos to HDD again, encountered same error *frown*, unmounted HDD from computer and restarted computer…
Really bad move!!
When I plugged HDD into computer again, an error message "You need to format disk in drive before you can use it" appeared, and the hard disk is 0 byte!! Meaning there is no file inside the hard disk??! Meaning all the data inside the hard disk are gone??!!! *horror + panic*
Goggled online and found that it is actually very common for external hard disk to have problems!! And if you are suddenly unable to read certain files on your hard drive or save new files onto the drive, this may be a sign of impending failure. *someone should have told me earlier!!*
Currently HDD is sitting at home with CHKDSK running since 11pm plus last night… *sigh*
Hopefully my data is still recoverable *cross fingers* though I should not have high hopes, cos from what I saw this morning at 7am plus, there were many unreadable files and an “insufficient disk space to recover blah blah” message =(
And when I tried to recall the last time I back up data from my primary external 500GB HDD to secondary external 1TB HDD... I think it was like last year's October! *OMG! THAT long ago??*
May have to lose up to one year’s worth of photos… *very very sian* Hopefully the deleted photos in my camera can be recovered...
Anyway, moral of the story is: Always be diligent to back up your data in many many places
The End.
No comments:
Post a Comment